Hydroplane and Raceboat Museum

We're racing through history!

I clearly remember the roar of the deep-throated Allisons on the unlimited hydros in the 60s, especially at Lake Tahoe, when my dad worked on the crew of the Tahoe Miss. The Allison engines used then were also used in big tractors, racing airplanes and even a few dragsters, I'm told.

My dad also restored a boat for Bill Harrah in the 60s - the Thunderbird Yacht purchased from George Whittel. Harrah wanted two of the Allisons dropped in, about 50 years ago. The Thunderbird is now in the hands of the Thunderbird Foundation on the east shore of Lake Tahoe, and needs some parts to keep those Allisons running smoothly.

If you could help by pointing out some current sources of parts, engines, websites or whatever might be a lead to parts, I'd sure appreciate it. Our current models approximate the V1710 E and F, but we can use any parts from A-G.

Feel free to reply at gary@chops.com or in this discussion.

PS - the Thunderbird Foundation has recently acquired a box of Tahoe Miss "goodies," I'm told, and I'll share those with you soon.

Views: 582

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Just wanted to say a quick thanks to a friend who contacted us as a result of this post, and is helping ut with distributor caps and other small parts. Much appreciated!

We're still looking, so if you have any sources for Allison parts, please feel free to contact me at the email address above.

In July, the Thunderbird Foundation is going through its Harrah Hydroplane memoribilia - I'll post some of the treasures as they show up. According to director Bill Watson, they have Bill Harrah's original race team jump suit - cool!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Hydroplane & Raceboat Museum   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service