We're racing through history!
There has been a lot of traffic on the blogs this week about the Notre Dame and Harrah's Club crash in heat 1A of the 1967 Gold Cup. Here are a few photos from our archives that may clear up a few questions. (All photos are from the collection of the Hydroplan Museum Many were taken by Rich Ormbreck)
1. The Notre Dame bouning the first of three times.
2. On the last bounce, the bow and right sponson start to come apart, and the boat veers to the right
3. The Notre Dame continues to come apart and pulls to the right toward the Miss Lapper. Regas has been thrown from the boat
4. The Notre dame has come to rest. Behind her, the Harrah's Club approaches at over 160 mph
5. Harrah's Club hits the Notre Dame and sails into the air.
6. Harrah's Club lands and rolls over
7. The spray settles
8. Harrah's Club being raised the next day.
10. The wreckage of the Notre Dame back in the shop.